Saturday, September 24, 2011

"Grace" (100 word flashfic)

I really like "flashfics"- tiny little stories that can be written and read quickly. The 100-word fics are especially challenging to me, since my general strategy is to throw as many words as possible onto paper and hope something good comes of it. These stories really help me to focus and stay on the topic. Interestingly, this is the first one I've ever written where, when I was finished writing, I counted the words and had exactly 100. Neat!

"Grace" (100 word flashfic)
September 24th, 2011
Aaron M. Smith

“And thank you for grandma and grampa,” Gracie continued, her eyes pinched closed over her supper, hands placed together, “And thank you for mommy and daddy even though they spanked me yesterday and I didn’t do anything,” her parents shared an uncomfortable look across the table, “and thank you for uncle Tony because we only seem him at Thanksgiving, and thank you for Uncle Bruce and his friend Mike,” Bruce and Mike winked at each other, “and thank you for this food, and for the dessert even though I like chocolate better. Amen!” Her little hands snatched up her silverware.

No comments:

Post a Comment