Monday, December 28, 2009

Notes on novel writing

It's no secret that I'm a huge fan of author Jim Butcher, writer of The Dresden Files and The Codex Alera. Well, after meeting him last April at a book signing, he referred me to his LiveJournal, which he has graciously filled with concepts and helpful ideas that he uses when starting a new book (admitting that his ideas aren't the only ones that work, but they work for him).

I read his posts before finishing is latest book, First Lord's Fury, and was able to pick out pieces of the elements he suggests using when writing a book (scenes occurring in 4 notable steps, followed by sequels with an easy-to-follow skeleton that helps to further develop your characters) have totally made me re-think the way that I write large pieces.

In a lot of ways, I've been following his steps in my short stories with much more success than I have in my novel attempts. I'm going to have to re-think the way that I write before I'm ready to submit that manuscript to a literary agent.

If you're a budding writer, I'd recommend having a look at it. And while you're at it, read some of his novels- they're excellent!


No comments:

Post a Comment